Syllabus: Miscellaneous, Sports
- The Union Minister for Youth Affairs & Sports felicitated players under Pandit Deendayal Upadhyay National Welfare Fund for Sportspersons (PDUNWFS) in New Delhi.
- It was set up in March 1982 with a view to help sportspersons who play well but are from poor and needy families.
- Objective: Providing financial assistance to outstanding sportspersons, coaches and their family members living in indigent circumstances for various purposes like ameliorate condition, medical treatment, injuries, procurement of sports equipment and participation in national and international sports events etc.
Other Financial Assistance Schemes for Sportspersons
- Target Olympic Podium Scheme (TOPS): It was launched in 2014 under the aegis of the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports (MYAS), Government of India, has been a professional setup to provide holistic support to all athletes.
- The scheme provides personalized coaching support to the athletes from the best global coaches, International training sessions, visa facilitation support as well as top-of-line research support to track opponent performances.
- Khelo India Programme: It is one of the most significant Indian government schemes for sports aimed at identifying and nurturing talent at the grassroots level. The scheme seeks to provide financial assistance and infrastructure support to selected athletes to help them develop their skills and achieve their potential in their chosen sport.
- National Sports Talent Search Scheme: It is a scheme aimed at identifying and nurturing sporting talent in the country. The scheme provides financial assistance and infrastructure support to selected athletes to help them develop their skills and achieve their potential in their chosen sport.