Syllabus: GS2/Important aspects of governance
- A new Quality Control Order (QCO) for ‘Flux Cored Solder Wire’ was notified by the Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT), Ministry of Commerce and Industry.
About: Flux Cored Solder Wire
- It includes a specific type of solder wire that has flux in the centre of the wire.
- It is used in soldering electronic components, automobiles, telecommunication and diverse engineering industries.
- Establishing a quality control regime, by DPIIT, for its key products such as smart metres, welding rods & electrodes, Cookware and Utensils, Fire Extinguishers, Electric Ceiling Type Fans, Solar DC Cable and Fire Survival Cable and Domestic Gas Stoves for use with Piped Natural Gas etc.
Importance of Quality Control Order (QCO) for Flux Cored Solder Wire:
- It is crucial for the safety of the consumers, and to improve the manufacturing quality standards in the country and curb the imports of sub-standard products into India.
- It aims to develop world-class products of good quality in India, thereby fulfilling the objective of creating an ‘Aatmanirbhar Bharat’, and enhancing the brand and value of ‘Made in India’ products.
- To ensure smooth implementation of the QCO and Ease of Doing Business, relaxations have been granted to domestic small industries with three months, and micro industries with six months.
Offence and Penalties:
- Manufacturing, storing and sale of non-BIS certified products will be prohibited as per the BIS Act, 2016, after the implementation of the QCOs.
- The violation of the provision of the BIS Act can attract a penalty of imprisonment up to two years or with fine of at least Rs 2 lakh for the first offence.
- In case of second and subsequent offences, the fine will increase to Rs 5 lakh minimum and extend up to ten times the value of goods or articles.