Facts In News
Syllabus: GS2/ Statutory, regulatory and various quasi-judicial bodies
- The Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC), operating under the Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME), signed MoUs and laid the foundation stone for the ‘Modern Khadi of New India’ in Amritkal of Independent India.
- The objective of these MoUs is to prepare a roadmap to modernize the Khadi and Village Industries Commission and popularize its products among the youth as per the vision of ‘Local for Vocal’ and ‘Atmanirbhar Bharat’.
- The anchors of DD News and DD International channels will be seen in Khadi apparels. This agreement with Prasar Bharati will prove to be a milestone in making Khadi popular among the youth.
- NBCC (India) Limited will build new modern infrastructure for Khadi and Village Industries Commission across the country and to focus on keeping KVIC up-to-date with the latest technology.
Significance of Khadi
- During India’s freedom struggle, Khadi, which was made the key weapon of the Swadeshi movement by the Father of the Nation, Mahatma Gandhi.
- Khadi has been magnificently used for poverty alleviation, artisan empowerment, food security, women empowerment and has created the most powerful, capable and successful tool and weapon to eradicate unemployment.
Khadi & Village Industries Commission (KVIC)
- It is a statutory body established under the Khadi and Village Industries Commission Act, 1956. It functions under the Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises.
- Social objective of providing employment
- Economic objective of producing saleable articles
- The wider objective of creating self-reliance amongst the poor and building up a strong rural community spirit.
Initiatives of Khadi & Village Industries Commission (KVIC)
- Prime Minister’s Employment Generation Programme (PMEGP)
- Market Promotion Development Assistance (MPDA)
- Interest Subsidy Eligibility Certificate (ISEC)
- Workshed Scheme for Khadi Artisans
- Strengthening the infrastructure of existing weak Khadi institutions and assistance for marketing infrastructure
- Khadi Reform and Development Programme (KRDP)
- Scheme of Fund for Regeneration of Traditional Industries (SFURTI)
- Honey Mission