- Indian Rafale combat aircraft are set to participate in a multinational wargame codenamed Orion, which is being hosted by France at Mont-de-Marsan, an Air Force base of the French Air and Space Force (FASF).
Do you know?
- It is a multinational exercise hosted by the French government.
- The backdrop of this excercise is the ongoing Russia-Ukraine conflict, where NATO led by the US is opposing Russian moves against Ukraine.
- It is reportedly the largest ever multinational exercise being carried out by the French defense forces which have involved their Army, Navy and Air Force.
- Exercise Orion would be the first overseas exercise for the IAF’s Rafale aircraft.
- It involves many of France’s NATO and other important allies like Germany, Greece, Italy, Netherlands, United Kingdom, Spain and the United States of America.
- It highlights the growing importance of India in the international arena and its close ties with key allies such as France.
- The participation of Indian Rafales in multinational wargames helps in improving their capabilities and also in enhancing the interoperability of Indian forces with their foreign counterparts.
- Participation in this exercise would further enrich the employment philosophy of the India Air Force, by imbibing the best practices from other Air Forces.