The Prime Minister of India paid homage to Sardar Patel at the Statue of Unity and participated in the Rashtriya Ekta Diwas-related events.
About National Unity Day
- Every year, October 31 is marked as National Unity Day or Rashtriya Ekta Diwas in India to observe Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel’s birth anniversary.
- It was introduced by the Government of India in 2014.
- The day is celebrated to mark the birth anniversary of Sardar Patel who had a major role in the political integration of India.
- The celebration of the birth anniversary of Sardar Patel makes everyone aware of the ideas of strength and diversity of religions, languages, cultures, and traditions of our nation.
About Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel
- He is popularly known as the ‘Iron Man of India’.
- He was Leader of the freedom movement and follower of Mahatma Gandhi.
- He was Deputy Prime Minister and first Home Minister of independent India.
- He played an important role in the integration of Princely States with India.
- He played a prominent role in forming states and bringing them together under the Union of India after independence.
- He was a member of important committees of the Constituent Assembly on Fundamental Rights, Minorities, Provincial Constitution, etc.