“ Thanks to the great courage of the leaders of these three countries, we take a major stride toward a future in which people of all faiths and backgrounds live together in peace and prosperity.”
Description of the Image: President Donald J. Trump, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Bahrain Dr. Abdullatif bin Rashid Al-Zayani, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, and Minister of Foreign Affairs for the United Arab Emirates Abdullah bin Zayed Al Nahyanisigns sign the Abraham Accords Tuesday, Sept. 15, 2020, on the South Lawn of the White House. (Official White House Photo by Tia Dufour)
About Abraham Accord
The Abraham Accords are a historic series of agreements that were reached in the latter half of 2020. The accords mark a significant shift in the geopolitical landscape of the Middle East. These accords represent a set of agreements designed to normalize relations between Israel and several Arab states.
Reason behind the Name Abraham Accord
Abraham is a significant figure in the religious and historical narratives of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. He is often referred to as the “Father of Many Nations” and is considered a patriarch in these Abrahamic religions.
Since Israel and Arab states have a common descent in terms of religion the name Abraham Accords was given. It symbolises a shared heritage and emphasizes the potential for mutual cooperation and friendship between the parties involved.
Parties involved in the Abraham Accords
The Abraham Accords represent a collection of diplomatic agreements forged between Israel and several Arab nations, including the United Arab Emirates (UAE), Bahrain, Sudan, and Morocco. These historic accords were facilitated by the U.S. Administration.
The appellation “The Abraham Accords” was bestowed in recognition of Abraham, a figure revered in the traditions of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam, signifying the common cultural and spiritual bonds shared by these signatory nations.
Details of the Abraham Accords
According to the agreements, the UAE and Bahrain are set to initiate the following actions:
- Diplomatic Exchanges: Establish embassies and engage in ambassadorial exchanges.
- Collaboration: Collaborate with Israel across a diverse spectrum of sectors, encompassing tourism, trade, healthcare, and security.
- Visit to Historical Sites: Opportunity for Muslims worldwide to visit the historically significant sites in Israel and engage in peaceful prayer at Jerusalem’s Al-Aqsa Mosque, which holds the distinction of being the third holiest site in Islam.
Significance of the Accord
- New approach: The agreement shows the willingness of the Arab countries to move past the Palestine question and forge new relations with Israel.
- Diplomatic bonhomie in the region: The cordial ties between the two blocs- Israel and Arab states will bring diplomatic bonhomie in the region.
What is the impact of the Abraham Accords on India?
- Relief for India: The Abraham Accords provides a window of relief to India where it can
maintain diplomatic relations with both Israel and Arab states.
- Engagement avenues: The Abraham Accords encourages the countries to collaborate on the investments and technological fronts.
Overall the Abraham Accords are in India’s favour as it gives it opportunities to engage in a much better way with both the blocs. It also eases the tight diplomatic friction India faces in dealing with the two countries.
Abraham Accords Declaration
- Maintaining and strengthening peace in the Middle East and around the world based on mutual understanding and coexistence, as well as respect for human dignity and freedom, including religious freedom.
- We encourage efforts to promote interfaith and intercultural dialogue to advance a culture of peace among the three Abrahamic religions and all humanity.
- We believe that the best way to address challenges is through cooperation and dialogue and that developing friendly relations among States advances the interests of lasting peace in the Middle East and around the world.
- We seek tolerance and respect for every person in order to make this world a place where all can enjoy a life of dignity and hope, no matter their race, faith or ethnicity.
- We support science, art, medicine, and commerce to inspire humankind, maximize human potential, and bring nations closer together.
- We seek to end radicalization and conflict to provide all children a better future.
- We pursue a vision of peace, security, and prosperity in the Middle East and around the world.
Challenges of Abraham Accords
The Abraham Accords are encouraging as they mark a new era of diplomacy among the warring factions. But the accords also face challenges as follows:
- Israel Attack: The recent attack by Hamas holds potential to undo whatever little the Accords tried to achieve. Palestinians believe that the Accords are in the interests of Israel.
- Response of Saudi Arabia after the attack: The recent statements by Prince Mohammad Bin Salman highlight the changes in the perspective of the Arab bloc.
- Statement 1: (Source: NDTV)
“need to end war crimes against Palestine,” Iranian state media said.
- Statement 2: (Source: NDTV)
“affirmed that the Kingdom is making all possible efforts in communicating with all international and regional parties to stop the ongoing escalation,” Saudi state news agency SPA said.
- Great game: The region has multiple players like Russia, China, Iran which have their interests in the region.
- Addressing the Palestinian Question: The Palestine question is the elephant in the room and there is a need to address it first. It is a complex issue which needs to be handled carefully.
- Need to address the internal questions among the countries: There is a need to balance the Shia and Sunni conflict in the region.
- Emphasis on Regional Cooperation: There is a need to emphasise on economic cooperation, technological development, energy and food security, health issues and cultural exchanges.
It is clear that the Abraham Accords were a good start towards closer ties between Israel and the Arab world, but its success and expansion to other countries will be hampered by the current geopolitical environment, including conflicts between the United States and China and other Western countries. It depends on many influencing factors. Policies of adjustment and readjustment in Asia.