- The Prime Minister of India has praised “Abhilekh patal” a portal with over 1 Crore Pages of Historical Records of the National Archives.
About Abhilekh Patal
- Abhilekh is a Sanskrit term used in India for records since ancient times and Patal is a Sanskrit word meaning a board, platform, or a surface.
- A combination of both these words has been adopted as an acronym for Portal for Access to Archives and Learning.
- It is a full-featured web portal to access the National Archives of India’s reference media and its digitized collections through the Internet.
- It contains the reference media of more than 2.7 million files held by the National Archives of India.
The National Archives of India
- It is the repository of the non-current records of the Government of India and is holding them in trust for the use of record creators and general users.
- It is an Attached Office of the Ministry of Culture, Government of India.
- Set up on 11 March 1891 in Calcutta (Kolkata) as the Imperial Record Department, it was transferred to The New Capital to New Delhi in 1911.