- The Madras Music Academy has announced the winner of the Sangita Kalanidhi and Nritya Kalanidhi for the year 2023.
- Carnatic vocalist Bombay Jayashri has been selected for the Sangita Kalanidhi award.
- She is known for her melodic and meditative style of singing and is recognised by a Padma Shri from the Indian government.
- The Nritiya Kalanidhi award for dance goes to Vasanthalakshmi Narasimhachari.
- She excels both in Bharatanatyam and Kuchipudi.
Sangita Kalanidhi Award
- It is considered the highest accolade in the field of Carnatic music.
- It came into existence in 1942.
- Prior to that, a senior musician/expert was invited to preside over the Music Academy’s annual conference.
- In 1942, it was decided that the musician so invited would be conferred the title of Sangita Kalanidhi, the award comprising a gold medal and a birudu patra (citation).
Nritya Kalanidhi award
- It is presented in the field of dance every year by the Madras Music Academy.
Sangita Kala Acharya
- Instituted in 2012 by Dr Engikollai Krishnan and Dr Leela Krishnan it is conferred each year in January on a senior dancer at the inauguration of the annual dance festival.
About Madras Music Academy
- It is a landmark institution in the history of the fine arts. It emerged as an offshoot of the All India Congress Session held in Madras in December 1927.
- It was conceived to be the institution that would set the standard for Carnatic music.
- It also confers the various awards such as the Sangita Kalanidhi, Nritya Kalanidhi, Sangita Kala Acharya, TTK, and Musicologist awards for the year.