Syllabus :GS 2/Welfare Schemes
- The Manipur government has notified an upgraded compensation scheme for women victims and survivors of sexual assault and other crimes.
About the scheme
- The Manipur government was notifying the upgraded scheme in compliance with directions issued by the Supreme Court in matters connected to the ethnic conflict in the State.
- The government has allowed applications for the compensation, ranging from ₹1 lakh to ₹10 lakh, to be filed physically before the State Legal Services Authority or the District Legal Services Authority or online from anywhere in the country.
- The notification set out the schedule of injuries and crimes for which women victims will be given compensation, with the amount varying depending on the nature of the crime, the severity of the injury, loss of employment, and other associated factors.
- The scheme is being notified after being upgraded in accordance with the National Legal Services Authority’s scheme.
Other related initiatives The Manipur government also notified the creation of the Women Victims Compensation Fund, to be under the control of the Manipur State Legal Services Authority, and issued details of compensation amounts for about 20 different kinds of injuries and crimes.
|The National Legal Services Authority (NALSA)
– It has been constituted under the Legal Services Authorities Act, 1987 to provide free Legal Services to the weaker sections of the society.
– The Chief Justice of India is the Patron-in-Chief and the Senior most Hon’ble Judge, Supreme Court of India is the Executive Chairman of the Authority.
Functioning of NALSA
– NALSA lays down policies, principles, guidelines and frames effective and economical schemes for the State Legal Services Authorities to implement the Legal Services Programmes throughout the country.
– Primarily, the State Legal Services Authorities, District Legal Services Authorities, Taluk Legal Services Committees, etc. have been asked to discharge the following main functions on regular basis:
-> To Provide Free and Competent Legal Services to the eligible persons;
-> To organize Lok Adalats for amicable settlement of disputes and
-> To organize legal awareness camps in the rural areas.