- Recently, scientists from Jammu obtained a photographic record of the semi-aquatic carnivorous mammal in a tributary of the Chenab river.
- Otters are mammals of the family Mustelidae consisting of 13 species. They are found in every continent except Australia and Antarctica.
- The Eurasian otter covers the largest range of any Palearctic mammal.
- The species is persecuted as a pest in countries such as India, China and Nepal, and its populations have declined due to hunting for food and pelt, habitat loss, pollution and climate change,
- Eurasian otter is classified as ‘near threatened’ on the IUCN Red List.It is regarded as a flagship species and indicator of high-quality aquatic habitats.