Kashi Vishwanath Corridor

    0
    544

    In News

    • Recently, the Prime Minister inaugurated the Kashi Vishwanath Corridor connecting the ancient Kashi Vishwanath Temple in Varanasi to the ghats of the Ganga.
      • The foundation stone for the project was laid on March 8, 2019.

    About Kashi Vishwanath Corridor 

    • About:
      • It is a 400-metre long corridor that will facilitate the pilgrims and devotees of Baba Vishwanath, who had to encounter congested streets and surroundings with poor upkeep, when they practised the age-old custom of taking a dip in the holy river, collecting Gangajal and offering it at the temple. 
      • The architect of this project is Mr Bimal Patel who is also the architect for the Central Vista project.
    • Significance: 
      • It will provide easy access for the disabled and old age people with the provision of ramps, escalators, and other modern facilities.
      • Heritage Preservation 
      • Boost to Local Economy

    Kashi Vishwanath Temple

    • About:
      • Situated on the West bank of river Ganga which follows Uttar Vahini or north direction in Varanasi, the Temple is regarded as 7th amongst 12 Jyotirlingas. 
      • The main deity is known by the name Vishvanatha or Vishveshvara meaning Ruler of The Universe.
      • The Temple was renovated in its present form in 1780 by Maharani Ahilyabai Holkar of Indore and Maharaja Ranjit Singh donated gold for temple shikhara in 1835.
    • Architecture:
      • It is constructed following the Nagara style of temple architecture, mostly prevalent in northern India.
      • The venerable Jyotirlinga is a dark brown coloured stone that is enshrined in the Sanctum, placed on a silver platform.
      • The main temple is a quadrangle and is surrounded by shrines of other gods. The temple complex consists of a series of smaller shrines 
      • There is a small well in the temple called the Jnana Vapi (the wisdom well) that sits to the north of the main temple.
      • There is a Sabha Griha or Congregation Hall leading to the inner Garbha Griha or Sanctum Sanctorum. 

    Source: TH