- Mission Arikompan is likely to be delayed as Kerala Forest department is yet to get a satellite radio collar.
What is Mission Arikompan?
- The forest department has initiated ‘Mission Arikompan’, an operation to capture the rogue tusker by the name of Arikompan.
- The forest department has come up with a plan to capture it with tranquilizer shots and train it to be a ‘kumki’, a captive elephant used for operations against rogue elephants.
Parambikulam Tiger Reserve
- Parambikulam Tiger Reserve is located in Palakkad district and Thrissur district of Kerala.
- It is in the Sungam range of hills between the Anaimalai Hills and Nelliyampathy Hills.
- The Western Ghats, Anaimalai Sub-Cluster, including all of Parambikulam Wildlife Sanctuary, has been declared by the UNESCO World Heritage Committee as a World Heritage Site
- The Tiger Reserve is the home of four different tribes of indigenous peoples including the Kadar, Malasar, Muduvar and Mala Malasar.
- This sanctuary is referred to as the “state capital for the massive gaur” by wildlife experts.
For further reading on Human- Elephant conflict, Kindly follow this link.