- World Homoeopathy Day celebrated with the theme Homoeoparivar – Sarvajan Swasthya, One Health, One Family
About World Homoeopathy Day
- World Homeopathy Day is observed every year on April 10th.
- This day is celebrated to mark the birth anniversary of Dr. Samuel Hahnemann, who is the founder of homeopathy.
What is Homoeopathy?
- Homeopathy is a medical system based on the belief that the body can cure itself.
- It was developed in the late 1700s in Germany.
- Homoeopathic medicines are prepared from traces of animal, plant, mineral and other natural substances, by a standard method called dynamisation or potentisation.
- It is a therapeutic system of medicine premised on the principle, “Similia Similibus Curentur” or ‘let likes be treated by likes’. It is a method of treatment for curing the patient by medicines that possess the power of producing similar symptoms in a healthy human being simulating the natural disease, which it can cure in the diseased person.
Homoeopathy in India
- The Government of India has made sustained efforts for growth and development of Homoeopathy and other traditional systems of medicine including Ayurveda, Yoga, Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha and Sowa Rigpa. (collectively identified by the acronym AYUSH).
- Homoeopathy was introduced in India when some German missionaries and physicians started distributing homoeopathic medicines amongst local inhabitants. However, Homoeopathy took roots in India in 1839 when Dr. John Martin Honigberger successfully treated Maharaja Ranjit Singh for the paralysis of Vocal Cords.
Steps taken to promote Homoeopathy system of medicine
- Central Council for Research in Homoeopathy(CCRH) is an apex research organization under Ministry of AYUSH, which undertakes coordinates, develops, disseminates and promotes scientific research in Homoeopathy
- National AYUSH Mission (NAM)-Ministry of AYUSH is implementing the Centrally Sponsored Scheme of National AYUSH Mission (NAM) through States / UTs for promotion and development of AYUSH systems of Medicine including Homoeopathy.
- National Commission for Homoeopathy under the National Commission for Homoeopathy Act, 2020.
- Pharmacopoeia Commission for Indian Medicine & Homoeopathy (PCIM&H)
- National Institute of Homoeopathy (NIH), Kolkata is an Autonomous Institute under this Ministry of AYUSH.