The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi addressed the closing ceremony of Saurashtra Tamil Sangamam via video conferencing.
About Saurashtra Tamil Sangamam
- The genesis of the programme lies in the vision of the Prime Minister of promoting the spirit of Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat through initiatives which bring out and help rediscover the age-old links between people in different parts of the country.
- With this in mind, the Kashi Tamil Sangamam was organized earlier and the Saurashtra Tamil Sangamam takes forward this vision by celebrating the shared culture and heritage between Gujarat and Tamil Nadu.
- The plans including taking prospective visitors from Tamil Nadu to visit the Statue of Unity, the world’s largest statue of Sardar Sahib along with Somnath-Dwarka, were finalized.
- Importance: Centuries ago, many people migrated to Tamil Nadu from the Saurashtra region.
- The Saurashtra Tamil Sangamam provided an opportunity for Saurashtrian Tamils to reconnect with their roots and celebrate their shared traditions and values.
- The 10-day confluence saw more than 3000 Saurashtrian Tamils come to Somnath on a special train.
Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat programme