Syllabus: GS3/ Defence and Infrastructure
- The Defence Minister has dedicated 90 infrastructure projects of the Border Roads Organisation (BRO) to the nation.
- The projects are worth over Rs 2,900 crore, spread across 11 States/Union Territories.
- Of these 90 projects, 36 are in Arunachal Pradesh; 26 in Ladakh; 11 in Jammu & Kashmir; five in Mizoram; three in Himachal Pradesh; two each in Sikkim, Uttarakhand & West Bengal and one each in Nagaland, Rajasthan and Andaman & Nicobar Islands.
- Devak Bridge: The bridge in Jammu has a 422.9-metre span and has come up on the Bishnah-Kaulpur-Phulpur Road, close to the Indo-Pak international border.
- Nechiphu Tunnel: It is the 500-meter long Nechiphu Tunnel on Balipara-Charduar-Tawang Road in Arunachal Pradesh. This tunnel, along with the under construction Sela Tunnel, will provide all-weather connectivity to the strategic Tawang Region.
- Bagdogra and Barrackpore Airfields:These airfields, constructed in West Bengal at a cost of over Rs 500 crore, will bolster the preparedness of the Indian Air Force (IAF) along with facilitating commercial flight operations in the region.
- Nyoma Airfield: The Airfield is in Eastern Ladakh. This airfield, to be developed at a cost of approx. Rs 200 crore, will boost the air infrastructure in Ladakh and augment IAF’s capability along the Northern border.
|Border Roads Organisation (BRO)
– It was formed in 1960 by Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru for coordinating the speedy development of an adequate road communication network of roads in the North and the North-Eastern border regions of the country.
– It works under the administrative control of the Ministry of Defence.
– Major Functions
1. Support the armed forces meet their strategic needs by committed, dedicated and cost-effective development and sustenance of the infrastructure.
2. Achieve international levels of quality excellence and time consciousness in a diversified sphere of construction activity in a cost-effective manner.
3. Optimize potential and expertise through increased involvement in agency, transnational and national development projects.