The Central government announced the inclusion of skilling of girls in non-traditional livelihood (NTL) options in the ‘Beti Bachao Beti Padhao’ scheme.
- The Beti Bachao Beti Padhao scheme has been revised and Some of the new aims for the scheme include
- Ensuring 1% increment in enrolment at the secondary level and skilling of girls and women every year
- Raising awareness about safe menstrual hygiene
- Promulgating elimination of child marriages.
- Focus: The scheme will now also focus on increasing the enrolment of girls in secondary education, particularly in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics) subjects. Women have been historically under-represented areas such as technology.
- Through this initiative, girls will be given skill training in non-traditional vocations, thereby making them torchbearers of a women-led Aatmanirbhar Bharat (self-reliant India)
The Beti Bachao Beti Padhao (BBBP) Scheme